Saturday, January 24, 2015

Week 3: Strangers

Earlier today when I was cleaning out my room, I found my yearbooks ranging from kindergarten to senior year. Once I blew the dust off the covers, I dove in. I was excited.

There's so much going on in those books: history of friendships that once were, horrible Lifetouch pictures, the ever-changing yearbook slang, etc. Just reading the word "HAGS" in almost every signature from my elementary school books made me laugh-cringe. Some of the signatures in later yearbooks made me wonder, "Where are they now? Do they remember the good times and jokes we had?"

I moved to a new town in the middle of 7th grade. It was rough, as anyone could expect, to leave the classmates you've grown up with and start over as an awkward middle schooler. So I found myself in an interesting situation: I still communicate with/"see" (via Facebook) most of my high school classmates. The other half? No clue. Every so often I'll conduct a mass Facebook search and see what my old friends are up to.

You might be thinking, do you send them a message to reconnect? Nah. I guess I've got an underlying fear that I've been forgotten--I'm sure I'm not alone in this. But another part of me doesn't care that much. Sometimes it's best to leave people in the past. I see it this way: if we haven't kept in touch for so long (like, almost a decade), I'm not really one for rekindling a friendship. But until the day I do decide to reconnect, my old classmates and I will remain strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment