Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 3: My Favorite Homework Spot

What's better than having a coffee shop all to yourself?

That's often the case when I visit Crate's Coffee House in Lake Orion. I'm usually accompanied by a couple other people in the shop if it's not totally empty. Whenever I need to get out of the house to do homework, I opt for smaller, hole-in-the-wall places like Crate's rather than Starbucks or Cafe O'Bears.

Today's a little bit different. My sister tagged along with me this trip. I ordered my usual vanilla latte and we sat down to get to work. She was leisurely writing her story, and I, on the other hand, was juggling all of the work for this class with a lecture for my public relations course. The assignment for that class didn't seem too bad, so I put that on the back burner for a bit.

Over the course of an hour and a half, I've seen a handful of people walk in and out with their orders while others have set up their tables similarly to my own: notebooks, pens, a laptop, and of course their warm, inviting cup of coffee on this chilly January day. I got up to throw away my trash and saw that the place was rather busy for a Sunday afternoon 20 minutes before closing.

One of the factors that draws me back to Crate's again and again is the atmosphere. Today there's indie music playing in the background over the light chatter of the other patrons. It's the perfect amount of noise to get my work done--nothing too loud and crazy, but just enough to let me focus on the tasks at hand.

It's important to have a place to go when I need to get away from my normal workspace. Over the past two semesters, I've had 4 online classes. I find myself getting easily distracted when I work from home. With my to-do list in hand, I try and make my way over to Crate's at least once a week. Even if I don't get all my work done, it's nice to be in the atmosphere of a coffee shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment